Board of Elections
The members of the Virgin Islands Board of Elections are:
|St. Croix District||St. Thomas/St. John District|
|Raymond J. Williams, Chairman||Atanya Springette, Vice Chair|
|Lilliana Belardo De O'Neal, Secretary||Lydia Hendricks|
|Frederick R. Espinosa||Shikima Jones|
|Lisa Harris-Moorehead||Angeli Leerdam|
|Epiphane Joseph||Harriet A. Mercer|
|Glenn Webster||Alecia M. Wells|
|Administrative Assistant STX District||Administrative Assistant STT / STJ District|
Scope & Overview
The Boards of Elections is established in Title 18, Chapter 3, Section 41, of the Virgin Islands Code. There is a single Board of Elections that governs both election districts. The Board consists of fourteen members; seven from each district, who are elected by the electors of each election district beginning with the 2018 general election. No more than four members of the same political party may represent a district, including individuals who are not affiliated with any political party.
Within their respective districts, the Boards of Elections shall have jurisdiction over the following:
- The registration of electors and the conduct of primaries and general elections;
- Performance of all functions with respect to party enrollment of electors;
- The preservation, storage and maintenance of registers and primary and general election equipment of all kinds;
- Issuance of certificates of appointment to election officers;
- Investigation of election frauds and irregularities;
- Receive from election officers the returns of all primaries and general elections, canvass and compute the returns, and certify, no later than one week following the primary or general elections, and forwarding of the results thereof to the Supervisor of Elections; and,
- Recommendations to the Legislature of amendments to the election laws in conjunction with the Supervisor of Elections.
The Boards shall meet, at least quarterly, as the Board of Elections to promulgate and issue uniform rules and regulations for the administration and enforcement of the election laws throughout the U.S. Virgin Islands.
To provide American citizens in the Virgin Islands with the mechanism to exercise their right to vote according to the United States Constitution.
To coordinate and implement all election related services and activities in the Virgin Islands.