Candidates are required to complete a number of forms. The main form to be completed is a nomination petition or paper. If you are a member of a political party you will be required to obtain signatures for a petition. If you are not a member of a political party you will be required to obtain signatures for a paper.
Persons employed in the legislative, executive or judicial branches of the Government of the United States Virgin Islands shall be eligible for nomination as candidates for public office but any such person who becomes a candidate for public office shall be granted and shall take a leave of absence from his governmental duties from the date of the filing of his nomination petition or paper until the date of the ensuing general election, unless the person is a candidate at a primary election who fails to be nominated, in which case the person's leave of absence may terminate immediately afte
Pursuant to Title 18 section 664 applications can be accepted up to 14 days before the day of the election, lists are available after that.
- Governor and Lt. Governor in the Revised Organic Act of 1954 section 11 Legislature in the Revised Organic Act of 1954 section 6
- Delegate to Congress Title 18 section 21 Virgin Islands Code
- Board of Education Title 17 section 21 Virgin Islands Code
- Board of Elections Title 18 section 41 Virgin Islands Code
Candidate means an individual who seeks nomination for election, or election, to any elective office of this Territory, whether or not such individual is elected and whether or not such individual has formally or publicly announced his candidacy. However, in order to be a "candidate" a person must have:
The Election System of the Virgin Islands is NOT allowed to represent any one party.
No, you can become a No Party affiliate. You will not be allowed to vote in the Primary election. Primary elections are for members of parties only.
There are three (3) political parties in the Virgin Islands, they are:
- Independent Citizens Movement Party of the Virgin Islands
- The Republican Party of the Virgin Islands
- The Democratic Party of the Virgin Islands